No more email for Agent 1.93 Sniff. Should I upgrade to version 8 or get an email program??
Roy
2018-11-14 16:27:55 UTC
I spend as much time on text groups as I do binary groups. Should I upgrade to
ver 8 so I can continue to use the same program for email and newsgroups, or
should I stay with 1.93 and just get an email program? I have outlook somewhere
on this machine, but have not used it in the 10 years since I retired. I would
like to know just how much you folks like ver 8.

I use Easynews for Usenet access.

Thanks,
Roy
Christopher A. Lee
2018-11-14 17:07:55 UTC
Post by Roy
I spend as much time on text groups as I do binary groups. Should I upgrade to
ver 8 so I can continue to use the same program for email and newsgroups, or
should I stay with 1.93 and just get an email program? I have outlook somewhere
on this machine, but have not used it in the 10 years since I retired. I would
like to know just how much you folks like ver 8.
I use Easynews for Usenet access.
Thanks,
Roy
To be honest, I only kept upgrading to new versions because I wanted
Forte to stay in business, keep producing and supporting Agent - even
though I haven't really needed a lot of the new features.

Most of my use is for text messages and email, but I also share
railroad photographs.

But I stayed with 7 and didn't upgrade to 8 because there wasn't
anything in it that I could use - and the debacle with the date when
filters expired was the last straw for me.
Roy
2018-11-14 17:29:57 UTC
Are you referring to the 365 day filter setting reverting to 0? That was the
only filter thread I found that described program problems. I have not followed
this group heavily for about a decade. I mean, I have been using 1.93 since
version 0.99c in 1996. But since I need to do something, I would like to know
about version 8, warts and all.

Thanks.
Kees Nuyt
2018-11-15 14:28:57 UTC
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:07:55 -0600, Christopher A. Lee
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by Roy
[...]
Same here. I bought and tried v8 on a copy of my Agent data
files, but I didn't like it. Maybe some people need the v8
features, but I don't, so I reverted to v7.
--
Regards,
Kees Nuyt
Ken Blake
2018-11-14 20:05:04 UTC
Post by Roy
I spend as much time on text groups as I do binary groups. Should I upgrade to
ver 8 so I can continue to use the same program for email and newsgroups, or
should I stay with 1.93 and just get an email program?
You should choose the e-mail program you like best, whether it's Agent
8, Outlook, some other Microsoft program, or some other third-party
program. As far as I'm concerned, there is no advantage to using the
same program for both Usenet and e-mail. If Agent is the one you like
best for both uses, that's fine. It doesn't happen to be my choice for
e-mail, but we're all different, and what's important to one person
isn't necessarily what's important to the next person.
Post by Roy
I have outlook somewhere
on this machine, but have not used it in the 10 years since I retired. I would
like to know just how much you folks like ver 8.
I use Agent 6, and I've never seen any advantage to going to 8, so I
can't answer that question.
Ralph Fox
2018-11-15 07:51:36 UTC
Post by Roy
I spend as much time on text groups as I do binary groups. Should I upgrade to
ver 8 so I can continue to use the same program for email and newsgroups, or
should I stay with 1.93 and just get an email program? I have outlook somewhere
on this machine, but have not used it in the 10 years since I retired. I would
like to know just how much you folks like ver 8.
I use Easynews for Usenet access.
I use Thunderbird as my primary email program and Agent as my primary newsreader.
I would agree with Ken Blake; there is no advantage to using the same program for
both Usenet and e-mail.

My main reasons for using Thunderbird rather than Agent 8 for email are:
* Better HTML support
* Support for IMAP

The big question I would ask you is:

Q. If you do get another email program, Would you want to transfer your emails
from Agent into the new email program?

If so, it is much much easier to transfer your emails from Agent into Thunderbird
than it is to transfer your emails from Agent into Outlook.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
🦊
Roy
2018-11-18 02:10:54 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Roy
[...]
Thank you for that question. I had not considered that. I currently have email
that dates back to 2004 on this machine. Email going back to 1996 is backed up
on two different external hard drives. There is a lot of family messages I
would hate to lose. I will try Thunderbird.

So far Comcast/Xfinity has not blocked port 110 so Agent 1.93 still works, but I
do not expect for that to continue.
Ralph Fox
2018-11-18 02:35:53 UTC
Post by Roy
Thank you for that question. I had not considered that. I currently have email
that dates back to 2004 on this machine. Email going back to 1996 is backed up
on two different external hard drives. There is a lot of family messages I
would hate to lose. I will try Thunderbird.
Just be aware that transferring mail is not automatic from Agent to Thunderbird.
Thunderbird's "Tools >> Import >> Mail" does not list Agent.

Transferring mail from Agent to Thunderbird is done folder by folder.
If you have hundreds of mail folders then it can be a chore.

Post back if you want instructions for transferring mail.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Dan Musicant
2018-11-20 18:37:12 UTC
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 15:35:53 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

:On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 20:10:54 -0600, Roy wrote:
:
:> Thank you for that question. I had not considered that. I currently have email
:> that dates back to 2004 on this machine. Email going back to 1996 is backed up
:> on two different external hard drives. There is a lot of family messages I
:> would hate to lose. I will try Thunderbird.
:
:
:Just be aware that transferring mail is not automatic from Agent to Thunderbird.
:Thunderbird's "Tools >> Import >> Mail" does not list Agent.
:
:Transferring mail from Agent to Thunderbird is done folder by folder.
:If you have hundreds of mail folders then it can be a chore.
:
:Post back if you want instructions for transferring mail.

Hi Ralph,

I'm curious about this... using Thunderbird for email. Have been using
Agent 1.93 for many years for both email and newsgroups. Have done a ton
of newsgroups but very very little in recent years. Even so, I have a
lot of downloaded newsgroup posts saved and am subscribed to scores of
newsgroups.

I just counted and in this particular of my ~ Agent installs (each is on
a local PC), there are about 45 email folders.

Please post instructions on how I would convert to using Thunderbird for
emails. I'm kinda aware that Agent 1.93 handles HTML badly. I get some
posts that are hell to deal with and I have to copy email content into a
file and give it extension .htm or .html to make sense of it and deal
with it.

Thank you!!!

Dan

PS If it has any bearing (Thunderbird evidently is involved with
Firefox/Mozilla) I do use Firefox, but even more I use Pale Moon, which
is a Mozilla derivative browser, which is also current and well
maintained. Not sure which I should lean to ATM.

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net
Ralph Fox
2018-11-21 07:36:08 UTC
Post by Dan Musicant
[...]
Thunderbird uses the 'mbox' file format for folders in 'Local Folders'.
Agent can export folders to an 'mbox' file (Agent calls this a 'Unix
message file'). There are slight differences between Agent's file
format and Thunderbird -- but the differences can be corrected by
editing the file and doing a find/replace.

The find/replace is best done in Notepad++.

But first, let's check that your Thunderbird is still using the 'mbox'
file format for local folders.

0. In Thunderbird, go to "Tools >> Account Settings >> Local Folders"
and look for the setting "Message Store Type".

screen-shot: <Loading Image...>

(a) If it is set to "File per folder (mbox)", then you're OK.
(b) If it is set to "File per message (maildir)", then the
instructions below are not going to work.
(c) If this setting is not there, you're also OK, and you have
an older version of Thunderbird which only supports 'mbox'.

To move an email folder from Agent into Thunderbird.

1. In Agent, select an email folder to export.
2. Select all the messages in the folder. This can be done as follows
2.1 Click on a single message in the message list pane
2.2 Press Ctrl+A
3. Use Agent's menu command
"File >> Save Messages As"
with the following options

File Name: [no file extension, and named differently to
any of your existing Thunderbird email folders]

[ ] Append to existing file -- NOT CHECKED
[x] Save raw unformatted message -- CHECKED

File format
(•) Unix message file

Header fields to include
(•) All fields

4. Open the saved file in Notepad++, and use "Search >> Replace"
with the following settings:

i) Find what: ^(From [^:]*)$
ii) Replace with: >\1
iii) Search mode: regular expression

* Screen-shot: <http://imgur.com/Sm5kaQJ>

* Notepad++ <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>

Save the modified file.

5. In Thunderbird, go to
"Tools >> Account Settings >> Local Folders"
and make a note of the hard drive folder in the setting
"Local directory".

6. Copy the modified file from #4 into the hard drive folder in #5.

7. When you restart Thunderbird, Thunderbird's 'Local Folders' will
have a new folder containing your emails from Agent.

8. If you want to put your imported emails into an IMAP mail account,
import into "Local Folders" first, and then move the emails from
the imported folder into an IMAP account folder while you are online.

Do NOT try importing directly from file into an IMAP account.

9. You cannot import messages into a newsgroup account in Thunderbird.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
b***@yipee.com
2018-11-15 14:29:22 UTC
Post by Roy
I spend as much time on text groups as I do binary groups. Should I upgrade to
ver 8 so I can continue to use the same program for email and newsgroups, or
should I stay with 1.93 and just get an email program? I have outlook somewhere
on this machine, but have not used it in the 10 years since I retired. I would
like to know just how much you folks like ver 8.
I use Easynews for Usenet access.
Thanks,
Roy
I used Outlook from 1995-2017. Used the last version (2003) until Dec
2017 when the forced "quality upgrade" of windows 10 made it
inoperable! Only outlook option now is to 'rent' it from MS, so now we
use the web-based email provided by the ISP.

Don't know how old your Outlook is, but using it now may not be an
option.
Ken Blake
2018-11-15 16:49:46 UTC
Post by b***@yipee.com
I used Outlook from 1995-2017. Used the last version (2003) until Dec
2017 when the forced "quality upgrade" of windows 10 made it
inoperable!
Outlook 2003 is a very old version. It should be no surprise that it's
not compatible with Windows 10. I use Outlook 2016 here, and it's
fine.
Post by b***@yipee.com
Only outlook option now is to 'rent' it from MS,
Not at all true. Leasing it in Office 365 is an option, but you can
also still buy Office.
Post by b***@yipee.com
so now we
use the web-based email provided by the ISP.
Ugh! As far as I'm concerned, web-based mail is the by far the worst
possible way to do e-mail. Your choice, of course, but I strongly
recommend either buying a recent version of Office or using some other
e-mail program.
Arthur Conan Doyle
2018-11-15 19:53:12 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Ugh! As far as I'm concerned, web-based mail is the by far the worst
possible way to do e-mail. Your choice, of course, but I strongly
recommend either buying a recent version of Office or using some other
e-mail program.
I agree. Thunderbird is an excellent 'old school' PC client. For Android, I
prefer Blue Mail.
Arthur T.
2018-11-15 20:46:44 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Outlook 2003 is a very old version. It should be no surprise that it's
not compatible with Windows 10. I use Outlook 2016 here, and it's
fine.
Eudora from 2005 is almost as old, and it works fine under
Win10. (The real Eudora, not Thunderbird made to look something like
Eudora.)
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
Ken Blake
2018-11-16 00:30:41 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by Ken Blake
Outlook 2003 is a very old version. It should be no surprise that it's
not compatible with Windows 10. I use Outlook 2016 here, and it's
fine.
Eudora from 2005 is almost as old, and it works fine under
Win10.
I'm sure there are many programs that old, or even older, that work
fine under Windows 10. I didn't suggest that none of them did, but
rather that finding one that didn't shouldn't be a surprise.
Post by Arthur T.
(The real Eudora, not Thunderbird made to look something like
Eudora.)
It's been many years since I last used Eudora. I remember that I liked
it, but can't remember why I switched away from it or what I switched
to--probably something I tried and liked even better.

It's also been a while since I last tried Thunderbird, and I can't
remember what I didn't like about it.
Gene Wirchenko
2018-11-16 04:22:27 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by Ken Blake
Outlook 2003 is a very old version. It should be no surprise that it's
not compatible with Windows 10. I use Outlook 2016 here, and it's
fine.
Eudora from 2005 is almost as old, and it works fine under
Win10. (The real Eudora, not Thunderbird made to look something like
Eudora.)
Well, there are issues with some newer character sets not
displaying correctly.

I use Eudora 7.1.0.9 under Windows 7. BTW, its copyright is
1991-200*6* according to its "About Eudora...".

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Ralph Fox
2018-11-16 06:34:16 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Eudora from 2005 is almost as old, and it works fine under
Win10. (The real Eudora, not Thunderbird made to look something like
Eudora.)
AIUI Eudora has problems with some modern SSL root certificates,
but this can be fixed on a case-by-case basis.

<https://support.tigertech.net/eudora-cert>
<https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/NGVMo2it394>
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Marc Wilson
2018-11-22 16:59:12 UTC
Marc Wilson
2018-11-22 16:58:21 UTC
Roy
2018-11-18 02:15:23 UTC
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I am going to install Thunderbird now,
and keep using Agent 1.93 as long as I can. I have been running it for over 20
years now, and am kind of used to it. ;)